Monday 15 July 2019

Work Share - Year of the Phoenix

Now that I've had all my first year assignments marked and returned, I'm allowed to publish them. Over the next few days, I'm going to sharing creative works I produced for assignments, starting with a ballad titled Year of the Phoenix. This was part of an assignment on Strict Form Poetry, and was based on the major life changes I went through in 2018.

2018 – A year of rhymes
With that bizarre old curse:
“May you live in interesting times.”
Life’s gone from bad to worse.

At least, that’s what I thought at first.

Stuck in a soulless job,
Waiting for my bubble to burst.
Always about to sob.

TV Tropes and comfort eating

Not what I am paid for.
Other than my workplace tweeting,
Writing output’s been poor.

Then it changed in the month of May.

Boss says “Andrew, you’re fired.
I’ve read your tweets. Seen what you say.”
Don’t care; I’ve retired.

Unemployment does have its perks:

Catching up on lost sleep,
Spending time on creative works,
Feeling less like a sheep.

But it’s now time for a new start.

Saying goodbye to Stoke.
I guess my sacking was – at heart –
A motivating poke.

“Go Bohemian for a spell”

A pipe dream for so long.
“You’ll have many stories to tell
With wine, women, and song.”

So now I have moved to Leicester

I’m sick of the fighting
With the management who pester.
Sod that; let’s get writing.

Settled in, started at Uni

I’m in a better state
You could say that I’m a loony
But for once, I feel great!

Andrew Roberts, 2018

Watch this space for more work.

1 comment:

The End of the Third Year

  The closest thing to posing by the campus sign with a printed dissertation. Well, here I am at the end of the line. I got my results yeste...