Sunday 21 July 2019

Work Share - The Demon Fencer

My next work share is from a second poetry assignment in the Exploring Creative Writing module. The first assignment had been on strict form poetry, and this one looked at free verse. Based on a single word prompt, "Try", I decided to look at how I enrolled in my university's fencing club. I write swashbuckler fiction, so I can consider it "research". My submission, The Demon Fencer, looked at my experiences within the club. I suppose I'm a "casual" fencer, because I didn't take part in any competitions last year, but I might give that a go next year.

Office work made me feel blue, so I’m trying something new
Studying Creative Writing, with research around fighting
No, not a drunken brawl in the pub. I’ve joined the Fencing Club
Sunday at the Watershed, which does mean getting out of bed
Put on the kit, grab an epee, time to plug and play
Parry, feint, riposte. Win with a rakish cackle like Errol Flynn
Like d’Artagnan vs Jussac, or Inigo vs the Man in Black
They do socials too. Go out for a pint. Or a few.
Try the Firebug’s A&E? Dost Mefinitely!

Andrew Roberts, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of the Third Year

  The closest thing to posing by the campus sign with a printed dissertation. Well, here I am at the end of the line. I got my results yeste...