Tuesday 23 July 2019

Work Share - The Plan

My next few work shares will be from a "Creative Portfolio" I did for my Exploring Creative Writing Module (the same one with the strict form and free verse assignments). One part of this assignment involved writing a historical flash fiction. With this in mind, I decided to write about Julie d'Aubigny, a swashbuckling, openly bisexual adventurer and opera singer in 17th Century France. The Plan follows Julie shaking down a wandering minstrel who is known to pick up rumours and gossip.

If you wish to know more about this truly fascinating woman, I recommend watching this Extra History video they prepared on the subject.
The wind against the shutters adds unwanted percussion to my cittern piece. I ignore it, breathing in the smell of wood smoke while cursing the lack of audience and wine.

The door swings open. I hunch closer to the fire as I feel the cold gust fill the room. A woman of no more than eighteen years enters the Maison de la Couronne, rain dripping from a wide-brimmed hat and cloak. I see the rapier on her belt as she removes the cloak. She strides to the innkeeper, who nods in my direction and ducks.

“Merde…” I say under my breath as she approaches.
“You know who I am?” She looms over me.
I hear my own heart beating. I’ve heard many tales of Mademoiselle de Maupin, in the taverns from Paris to Marseilles. Few of them were pleasant.
“Did you not hear me?” She grabs me by the collar.
“What do you want with me?” I feel the sweat drip from my forehead, 
“I’m told you like gossip,” She says, “Have you heard of Fleur LaBelle?”
“Fair-haired and beautiful,” I nod, “I used to see her in the marketplace. I heard her parents sent her away.”
“Where?” She leans closer.
“The Order of Visitation.” I’m shaking, “Avignon. I don’t think they permit visitors.”
“That’s my problem, but I have a plan.” She tosses me a livre before heading to the door.
“Wait,” I stand up, “What’s your purpose for this? Why do you seek her?”
She pauses, and turns.
“Because I love her.”

Andrew Roberts, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

The End of the Third Year

  The closest thing to posing by the campus sign with a printed dissertation. Well, here I am at the end of the line. I got my results yeste...